August 12 was a very busy day. We went on an early morning Hot air balloon tour, and after breakfast at the hotel, we visited the Valley of the Kings, Temple of Hatshepsut, and Valley of the Queen on the west bank of Luxor before returning to the hotel. We drank beer at the hotel and refreshed our spirits. We also made a reservation for a high-class French restaurant called “1886” in the hotel, which starts at 9:30 p.m., so it is a very late dinner.


After a quick break, we headed to the Luxor Museum. We knew that the museum was a short distance from the hotel, beyond the Luxor Temple, but there was a road that seemed to be connected but was not, and we never reached our destination. We kept going back and forth along the same road, and by the time we finally arrived at the museum, the sun was setting.


It is a small museum, but it seems to be worth seeing. However, I have not studied the museum well enough in advance, and although I read the explanations, I always end up just saying, “Oh, wow”. As I have written in my blog before, I have been going to museums only when I travel, so there is no way I can suddenly enjoy a museum.


After the museum, we headed to the Luxor Temple. The Luxor Temple and Museum are open until 9:00 p.m. (so says the guidebook), so you can make the most of the late hours.


There is only one entrance to the Luxor Temple, and it is difficult to find, so we walked carefully. We had already walked more than 20,000 steps and were very tired. Then we received a startling revelation. The Luxor Temple was closed. I remember it was only after 8:00 pm. Not willing to give up so easily, we went to the exit. The plan was to try to enter through the exit. But it was not possible. There was an attendant at the exit. We presented our Luxor passes and desperately tried to show them that we didn’t need to buy a ticket.


After the utmost pleading, we were allowed to enter, and only for five minutes. It was a wonderful moment when we truly realized the power of the Luxor Pass. The Luxor Temple was beautifully illuminated and the joy of being allowed special admission made a great impression on me.


When the time came, the lights mercilessly went out and the many remaining tourists were escorted out. Back to the hotel for the acclaimed French cuisine. If you don’t have a tie, you can borrow one. The restaurant is that good. We went without jackets, but the rest of the guests were more dressed up.


All of the food was delicious, and the prices were appropriate, as they should be. We had to check out the next morning, so I cleaned up my room so I wouldn’t forget anything before going to bed.


A car was called for us at 5:50 and we headed to the Temple of Karnak, which opens at 6:00. The early morning was cool and perfect; on the morning of the 12th we had to wait for the start of balloon tour, but on the morning of August 13th the balloons were floating high in the sky by 6:00.


We were the first to arrive at the Temple of Karnak and were treated to a completely different natural light experience than the “Sound and Light Show”. It was a pleasant feeling to have the magnificent temple almost to ourselves. We made seven counterclockwise laps around the “scarab”, so I am sure our wishes will come true. On the night of the 11th, all I could remember was struggling with sleepiness, but this time I truly enjoyed the Temple of Karnak.


We returned to the hotel, had an elegant breakfast, checked out, and headed for Luxor airport. Once in Cairo, a reunion with Mr. F awaited us. We paid the fare, thanking the driver, and said goodbye.